A Greek global innovation in packaging automation
Zenon Automation SAICT participated successfully at the prestigious packaging exhibition INTERPACK in Dusseldorf in Germany between 8th– 14th May 2014. In our booth we launched in the international market the MEL System (Modular End-of-Line).
The MEL System® (Modular End-of-Line) is a breakthrough in the design and implementation of integrated end-of-line systems. The end-of-line starts after the individual product packaging machines and continues until the shipping units (carton, multipacks, pallets etc.). It includes all the necessary intermediate functions for the finalization of the product and for its safe transportation throughout the supply chain: coding and identification, checkweighing, case packing, palletizing, stretch wrapping of the pallets, sorting etc.
MEL-System has been designed and developed by Zenon’s experienced engineers of and has already been successfully implemented at a number of multinational manufacturing companies, delivering dramatic increase in productivity, OEE and optimal utilization of existing infrastructure.
MEL System incorporates a number of important innovations:
- Innovative design with modular approach. i.e. While MEL System is an integrated system of equipment, control systems and production management software that can handle the product throughout the end-of-line operations, each of its modules can operate autonomously in the packaging line. Therefore, the client can choose to purchase any module he wishes, depending on his needs and financial resources.
- Backbone IT System. The Backbone of the MEL System® has been developed by Zenon’s experienced software and control engineers. It provides control of the line, traceability and maximum productivity.
- Benefits to the supply chain. MEL System provides many benefits to the supply chain, which make the product flow much easier. It allows the automatic pallet shipment and also the monitoring of pallets deliveries to warehouse operations.
The phases of the MEL System®
The MEL System® has 4 distinct equipment phases: primary packaging, secondary packaging, tertiary packaging and direct shipping/ delivery to warehouse operations. Each phase includes a number of individual modules, each serving a specific operation in the end-of-line (case packing, palletizing, pallet stretch wrapping, coding and printing, labelling, sorting, package quality inspection with cameras etc.).
The MEL System modules cover the requirements of the end-of-line operations. However it is highly unlikely that in a particular implementation, all modules of the MEL System will be used. All the modules of the MEL System® are “MEL-ready”, i.e. they can operate autonomously but also as a part of the complete system. The MEL-ready concept is important as it allows:
- The gradual integration of the modules in a packaging line: Individual modules of the MEL System can be installed separately while they can be integrated and be incorporated in a whole MEL-system at a later stage.
- The use of existing end-of-line systems in the MEL System: Zenon’s engineers can certify if the customers’ existing/legacy systems can be incorporated as modules of the MEL System. The MEL System has been designed so that existing end-of-line machinery can be easily incorporated with a few minor modifications into the MEL System®.
The 4 phases of the MEL System are synchronized by the Backbone, a unique combination of PC, PLC and Scada based software. The Backbone delivers:
- Integration of the MEL System® modules in one efficient system
- Production and work flow monitoring, traceability data, OEE measurement
- Connectivity to the various other plant IT/control systems (ERP, MRP, MES, WMS, other Scada etc)
Areas of application
The MEL System® can be used by any manufacturing plant involved in the packaging of food, beverages, pharma, cosmetics, metal parts, paper etc. The primary packaging of the products can be in the form of bottles, boxes, cans, jars, spray cans, sacks, bags, buckets etc.
The secondary packaging can be in the form of cartons, trays, multipacks, other shrink film packs or a combination of the above. Finally, the shipping units can either be tertiary packages (pallets), secondary packages or a combination of them.
If you are interested in MEL System® please fill out the form below or call us on +30 210 6690900: